OUR BIGGEST PROJECT TO DATE
The exterior of Andrew House in Victoria Road Clevedon has been in need of care and attention for some time and at the end of 2018 a £100,000 project to return the building to a condition worthy of its surroundings was completed.
Since taking over the responsibility for the building, Changing Lives Charity has funded the installation of a new, efficient boiler as a first step, but this major work will include refurbishment of the roof, replacement of rotting sash windows, new fascia, gutters & downspouts, repairs to decaying stonework & cracked render and redecoration of the flaking paintwork.
The Chair of Trustees of Changing Lives Charity, David Tomlinson said, ‘After buying the property, this is by far the biggest project so far undertaken and we invite others to join us in this act of faith. We have been pleased to find contractors from the local area for all aspects of the work as part of our work is very much rooted in the community.’
Andrew House has been a place of healing and hope since the early 20th Century in various forms. It was first a local GP’s home and surgery and the Drs Macleod were well loved and respected in the town and a prominent Catholic family. In 1952, as Bergin House, it became a children’s home run by the Christian George Muller Foundation touching the lives of many in a positive way. In the mid-90s it became Caleb House, a drug rehabilitation centre where the Life for the World worked on the front line of those caught up in addiction. Then in 2003, as Andrew House, Alabaré Christian Care and Support opened the doors to men who had been through the rehabilitation process in order to receive the support needed to return to fulfilling and productive lives. Changing Lives Charity continues the support and financial enabling of that work.